Step into the Ring

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Q & WHO?



What you should be looking at now is this month’s first ever Question and Answer section. A segment that you, my minions voted for in 2014’s poll and one I expect you to fill with questions for me to answer since it was you who chose it. It’s not even as if I forced you into the decision because there were plenty of options for you to choose on what you wanted to see on this blog in 2014. But alas, despite my searches I have found no questions from you on Twitter and I know a lot of you are on there. So, this is what we’re going to do. Because there is a lack of questions for this month’s column, I’m going to suspend it for this month and carry it through to February.

It has recently come to my attention that the hashtag I put out there for you to send the questions to clashes with another hashtag someone else has set up. So this is what we’re going to do. I’m going to change the hashtag. So take not of this to send your questions to. The hashtag for questions for this monthly column used to be #ASKTWG. But now that is taken and we run the risk of getting your questions sent to someone else, the new hashtag for questions will be #Q&AWGISHERE. Make a note of it. Because out of the near thirty thousand people who read this blog I would have at least expected some questions. So if you have any wrestling related questions to anything that has, is or may happen in WWE or any other wrestling company then send me them.

Unlike other wrestling magazines or websites, I will answer any and every question as long as it’s not the same question by different people. We want this column full at the end of February so get your questions into #Q&AWGISHERE by February 20th so I can write up the column for the end of next month. Don’t be shy. If you’ve ever wondered who was under a mask, the true story of an event or storyline that happened or you want to know my opinion of something that is currently happening in WWE, TNA, Ring of Honor or over in Japan then don’t hesitate to get in touch at the hashtag above or tweet me direct. Your questions will appear here next month.

On a completely different topic, the WWE Network has launched in the UK after its November 2014 cancellation and your Wrestling God has subscribed to the channel in order to bring you even more content for this blog. Now, I will be able to talk at length about things which happen behind the scenes of WWE and for one of the first times this week I sat and watched an episode of Total Divas. Though this wasn’t on WWE Network but on the Sky channel E! I have commented on this series in the past as being nothing but a scripted and false show, where its stars aren’t allowed to express themselves because WWE fear they will break kayfabe so script their lines for them. Now, I’ve see bits and bobs of the show but never had the stomach to sit through a whole hour of it. But this time I did and it was an episode where Daniel Bryan and Brie Bella seek out alternative employment just in case they should decide that the business which has made at least him a millionaire isn’t right for them.

I’ve never felt completely cringe worthy when watching a programme before. Doctor Who has come close on many occasions and certainly aspects and poor plotting of 2014’s Christmas special certainly sent shivers running up my spine and not in a good way. However, the blatantly scripted show which makes fools of its stars is totally false as are all the performances displayed in it. Daniel Bryan and Brie Bella looked completely out of their depth and seemed to put forth a real passion to do something more with their lives other than wrestle. Though the millions of dollars the forthcoming Daniel Bryan DVD and Blu-ray which will be released in 2015 won’t be turned away by Bryan and Brie. On top of that, we were treated, if you can call it that to John Cena and Nikki Bella’s personal relationship which anyone will tell you is destined to fail.

It’s reassuring to see that John Cena is apparently as emotionless and wooden in real life as he is on WWE television and in those awful movies he keeps on making. Now we know that he is useless in all aspects of his life and not just putting it on for the camera each week. Nikki couldn’t have looked more false as she tried to get John Cena to part with money and should have spoken to his ex-wife’s divorce lawyer if she wanted to see how hard it was to get money out of the leader of the Cenation. If you haven’t seen this piece of garbage then you really must watch it. Because for all the tripe that’s on show which does involve Natalya having what is obviously a pretend cat-fight with a diva who slips my mind now, it’s actually strangely entertaining in its own way.

For those of you who haven’t noticed by now, news is circulating that Jerry Lawler is, or at least will be removed from the Raw announce team on a full time basis. This should have happened by the time you read this. I can’t deny that this is best for business all around. It was apparent for some time that Jerry Lawler was well out of his depth alongside Michael Cole and JBL who were outshining him at every available opportunity. Jerry Lawler no longer had anything relevant to say or bring to WWE’s product and it’s best he departed his on screen duties for the company before it began to effect his legend. It’s not clear where Jerry Lawler will go from here though it’s believed that he will take up some type of backstage role, maybe booker or road agent. His knowledge of how to set up a gripping match would benefit the younger generation coming through.

There is still a chance that Jerry Lawler could make a special appearance now and again, both in a wrestling and commentary capacity. If this is WWE’s plan then Jerry Lawler would be a welcome addition to monthly pay-per view if he was to stay off of television every week and should he want to retire properly then I can think of no greater honour for WWE to bestow upon him than allow him the WrestleMania victory that ‘The King’ so richly deserves. However, this could be a mere fantasy as one of the reasons cited for Jerry Lawler’s removal from Raw has been his declining health. I won’t deny that he hasn’t been looking well for a long time, though I don’t expect WWE to release any statement to say why Lawler was really removed from the product.

Even if Jerry Lawler never appears on a WWE screen again, it won’t be the last we see of ‘The King’. WWE have lined up a three disc DVD and two disc Blu-ray release on Lawler’s life and career for 2015 which will precede releases on Daniel Bryan and one final release on The Ultimate Warrior. It’s an anticipated release from WWE home video, Jerry Lawler’s career has spanned far and wide and now WWE own all the footage I expect to see some rare bouts and some of his very best. There will really be no excuse if WWE fail to pull through on this one.

I was originally going to write a few paragraphs on the effect Sting has had on WWE since making his debut at Survivor Series, but since I’m having to write this before the Royal Rumble goes live in preparation for posting on Monday or Tuesday, I can’t fully tell you until seeing the event itself. You’ll know by now whether I’m right but I’m anticipating some type of inclusion for Sting, whether it’s to stop The Authority cheating to win the Royal Rumble Match or being an entrant himself. Either way, I think it’s quite obvious that we’re looking at a Sting vs Triple H match at Wrestlemania 31. WWE are saving Sting vs The Undertaker for what many believe will be The Undertaker’s final battle at WrestleMania 32 in 2016. They’ll be much more on Sting in 2015.

That’s it for this week. I can’t say I’m not disappointed about the lack of questions for a column that you chose but having failed to interact with me in the past I’m not surprised. So do something about it. There’s no point in choosing something and then not following through. It could be beneficial for us both. So get your questions coming through to #Q&AWGISHERE. Any questions which appear before February 20th will be included in February’s Q&A. Any after February 20th will be material for March’s and so on. Anything you want to know, I’m here to answer. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Onwards and upwards…