Step into the Ring

Friday 20 December 2013

HAVE A GREAT ONE EVERYBODY



As I sit here writing this in my Father Christmas hat, eagerly awaiting my presents to be delivered on Christmas morning, I have already been immersed in the Christmas spirit for close to three months already, ever since I walked into my local shopping centre and heard the sounds of ‘Rocking Around The Christmas Tree’ blasting out to the annoyance of most. Regardless of it not even getting to Halloween yet I couldn’t help but give a small dance to the horror of two girls caked in make-up and the amusement of a store assistant. Now we’re in the Christmas month and the mince pies and fizzy pop is flowing like wine at the feeding of the five thousand, I can happily say that I am in my element.

Of course, I do take a moment to ponder on what type of a year I’ve had and it has to be said it’s been pretty awful. Don’t get me wrong, nothing truly tragic has happened in my life. I haven’t lost anyone in the family for the time in many years but where the main problem lies is that nothing major has happened either. They say that you make your own luck and like most of you wonderful minions, I have worked my particulars off – both of them if you’re wondering – to make my luck better than it has been. Despite hours upon hours of hard work, I’m still sitting here hoping 2014 will be my year. But saying that I was sitting in this exact seat last year, wishing the same thing. I like to stick to theory that if you keep going and don’t give up then something good will happen.

Of course with Christmas comes New Year’s and those New Year’s resolutions we all make but can’t ever stick to. I’ve made them in the past as I’m sure you have. To lose weight, stop eating so much rubbish, do something we haven’t before and the list goes on and on. Personally, I have two New Year’s resolutions. The first being to finally learn to play a musical instrument without losing my temper with it. The instrument I have my eye on is a Ukulele as I once tried to play a guitar but after two months of struggling to learn to strum two strings it unfortunately met with the sole of my shoe in a very nasty purpose filled accident. The second is to do something I never have before. Be that say yes to more things or live a little more. I want to do something I never have and the first pinpoint in that quest will be to make my sisters birthday cake complete with little fondant people from television shows she loves.

I’m sure all you good people are pondering over what yours will be and some of you will even be sneering at the thought of promising yourself to do something knowing damn well you have no intention of following it through. I think we should. It gives us something to work towards and a great sense of self pride when we complete it. Everyone reading this should just try to do one thing they never have before or the one thing they’ve promised themselves to do for years. It doesn’t matter what it is. If you’ve always wanted to parachute from a thousand feet then throw yourself out of a plane and think how wonderful it is to be alive. If you’ve been yearning to tell that certain girl or guy how you feel about them then do it, take that leap (it’s just a shame I don’t follow my own advice). Just do something. Personally, I’m still contemplating whether or not to go that holiday camp audition I mentioned a while back. I’ve prepared an audition piece and everything but it’s just finding the nerve to actually go.

I have actually already begun this and before New Year – aren’t I a good boy? Maybe Santa will leave me an extra under the tree for foresight and effort this Christmas. Because this year, I took the leap and actually attended my first acting audition in years, in the complete knowledge that I would never ever get the part offered. So hey, it’s a start right? Though I think Christmas is much more exiting when you have children in the house and I can’t wait until I have some of my own. The judge has ruled that I can no longer invite random ones into my house (that for all of the humourless, was a joke – come on it’s Christmas).

Whilst we’re wondering what our New Year’s resolutions will be, I wonder if Vince McMahon has made his and if he’ll keep to them. If not and Vince if you’re reading this then allow your Wrestling God to suggest a few resolutions you could keep to which could boost business all around. You never know maybe by this time next year, McMahon will have taken note of these suggestions and we’ll see them implemented on WWE television and we can tuck into our Christmas pudding with a smug grin knowing that we were responsible for 2014 in wrestling – not that we’ll ever be credited for it.

I could mention a long list and keep you here for the next hour whilst I dust off my soap box and wax lyrical about where WWE are going wrong. But let’s be honest, it’s Christmas, you have better things to do and I still have presents to wrap whilst trying to get a sneak peak at what my family have brought me – you all do it! Instead of writing a list which you’ll all be slashing your wrists at by the time you get to the end I’m simply going to mention one or two things and see if we can spot them on WWE programming in 2014.

The first is the long awaited and much talked about John Cena heel turn. Yes, before you pepper me with messages telling me this has been throw around and rejected several times by Vince McMahon and John Cena, let’s not forget that McMahon is a man of great integrity even though he doesn’t show it half of the time. More than anyone in WWE Vince knows that the company has to move forward or risk sliding backwards. It’s an effect which WWE suffered during the Monday Night Wars and one they may face again if they don’t soon do something about the Cena situation.

We all know the reason Vince doesn’t want to turn Cena and it’s the same reason why John Cena is so opposed to turning himself. When it comes down to it, neither is bothered about what is best for business, just how much they can line their pockets with from the sizable merchandise sales. When it comes down to it, John Cena can preach that he loves this business all he wants but unless he’s willing to prove it by doing what is best then as far those who hate him concerned, he’s only in it for the money. It’s up to the man himself to prove us wrong and for all the member of the Cenation who dispute this, then ask yourself why won’t Cena turn heel? Apart from the money situation there is no reason not to. The majority of the WWE Universe can’t stand him anyway and he knows that he’s done everything he possibly can.

Should Vince McMahon take his head out of his bank account for a few minutes then he would see that a John Cena heel turn, maybe at WrestleMania XXX combined with the recreation of a brand new NWO lead by Cena, then the merchandise sales would triple what they currently are. Suddenly, a heel John Cena would be cool to support even if his in ring output was still poor. Sales of NWO shirts would sky rocket and as long as WWE implemented some wrestlers under Cena who needed the exposure and don’t go to stupid lengths with the angle like WCW did, it could be one of the defining moments of this decade. Surely both Cena and McMahon know that if they could pull it off the financial rewards would be ten fold to what they already are.

The second resolution McMahon needs to make is the emergence and building of new talent. It came some way in 2013 before it cooled off and now McMahon has stopped the journey of his young stars completely until he finds someone he believes is good enough to carry the candle forward. What is ironic about this and slightly infuriating is that had he continued the Dolph Ziggler push in mid 2013 then Ziggler would have been a full time main event star by now, but like everyone else, McMahon lost interest in Dolph and relegated him to the curtain jerker position. What is even more baffling is that whilst Ziggler is treading water on the under card, Big E. Langston, one of the men who has shown the least sparkle since his debut has been given the Intercontinental Championship. What I’d give to live one day inside Vince McMahon’s head.

In 2014, McMahon must back his younger stars before the damage is done for good. Already, the company and its leader has shown it it’s more bothered about John Cena and its bigger stars by sacrificing the likes of Alberto Del Rio to them. It would be nice for 2014 to be the year of the new blood. When McMahon has to have a younger wrestler take on a main event star either have them go over the main event talent – which wouldn’t hurt the talent anyway – or have them go down in a blaze of glory instead of being enhancement talent for men like Cena. McMahon needs to remember when booking these stars in 2014 that this is no longer 1992.

There are going to be some minor changes to this blog in 2014. Yes, before you all ask I change regularly but you have to in order to stay ahead of the game. There is competition believe it or not and I would hate to lose viewers because I’m not modern or spontaneous enough for you. Most of the changes you won’t even recognise but they are all designed to make your reading experience better. The biggest change however will be to what I like to think of the monthly feature. If you’ve read every other blog this year then you will have heard me mention a few months back that the series ‘The Unforgettable...’ would be returning in January with ‘The Unforgettable: Rick ‘The Model’ Martel’. That statement remains true.

That so called episode of ‘The Unforgettable...’ has been written and completed reading for your reading pleasure. But thanks to time constraints and only one person voting on my poll which you can still see to the left side of this blog, January’s edition will be the last of ‘The Unforgettable...’ until I get some feedback from all of you. I have asked nicely for you to give me your thoughts via the poll, which will take you five seconds to vote on, but so far only one person has bothered. I don’t do this for my own amusement, I do it because the truth deserves to be heard and I love writing, especially about our wonderful industry. But if people don’t want to give me feed back on what they’d like to see then as far as I know, I could be wasting my time.

So take note of what is going to happen next. After ‘The Unforgettable: Rick ‘The Model’ Martel’ has been put up for you to read, the poll on the left will disappear and be replaced by another poll. This time it will be for you to vote on which of the former articles you would like to see return in 2014, as well as a few new ones. To choose from you will have the return of ‘The Unforgettable...’ series and ‘Fantasy Warfare’ to name but a few. There is no charge to vote so there’s no reason why you can’t do it. If you don’t then the regular monthly feature will disappear totally. You see it takes me a solid two weeks to write ‘The Unforgettable...’ as it did with ‘Fantasy Warfare’ and if people don’t vote for what they want to see I’m not going to bother writing it. I like fan interaction, so vote or lose the regular monthly feature. I can’t keep taking a huge amount of time out of my life to write the massive monthly feature if I’m not sure you want to read it or not.

For the things that will change however, there will be a lot which will stay the same. The layout remains for at least another year before I think about tinkering with it. Also staying in 2014 will be your pay-per view previews which seem to be the lynchpin of this blog and of course ‘Review Corner’ as our relationship with Fremantle Media Enterprises continues into its second year. I’ll be dropping in a few off the cuff blogs as well for the weeks when there is nothing else lined up such as ‘Review Corner’ or a pay-per view preview. Change is good. Let’s embrace it as we come down from the massive Christmas hangover and disappointment of the presents we received but we didn’t really want.

Almost finally we come to the most thought provoking part of this years Christmas blog. The time we spend remembering those who have left us in 2013. It’s never easy saying goodbye to people who you have spent so much time with over the years and even though we do not know them personally, we have spent years in their presence and our time watching them. When you do that with someone for long enough, they almost become part of you. People think this is a business which is heartless. In which we bay for blood when things don’t go our way and to be fair, it can be like that sometimes. The side of the business they don’t see however is this side. The side in which whilst we expect the very best for our money from those performing for our entertainment, we also feel it greatly when we lose one of our own.

It’s a touchy subject death. No one really knows how to go about explaining the feeling to others. We close up and go into our own shell especially when it’s a member of our own family. When we lose heroes, it’s more profound. People who don’t understand this industry read the news and think “another roided up wrestler died of a drugs overdose or suicide, who cares?”, well we care. All of us in our own way and if you don’t then you’re not a real fan. We felt it when Owen Hart died. When mourned when Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit passed on despite what rumours the press felt like spreading without the real facts. And it’s like that when anyone in wrestling dies.

Out of all the names in the following short obituary of recognition, for a WWE fan the biggest losses of the year were Paul Bearer and Doink the Clown aka William Moody and Matt Borne. I have gone over what effect Doink had on me as a child and the importance of Paul Bearer so I won’t go over it all again. Just to say that anyone who isn’t a wrestling fan reading this, your beliefs that we don’t care when we lose one our own are wrong. We care deeply, whether we liked them in the ring or not. And to all those names who left us in 2013, we thank you and we miss you. The pleasure was all ours.

And that’s all I have to say. Personally the year may have been uneventful, but inside the ring there has been some highlights we shall never forget. Matches which will live in infamy and moments which will transcend time. All that’s left for me to say is that you Wrestling God will return to action on January 4th 2014 so come back because I’m not going anywhere fast and we’ll have another unforgettable year together. It’s always been a puzzle to me, even after two years how to end a blog like this. And I can think of no better way than to simply say, thank you.

I know I’ve said it before, over and over until you’re probably sick of hearing it but without you guys there would be no blog. I don’t write for my own amusement, I’ve had enough of doing that. We end 2013 with 12,000 plus regular readers, more than I could ever have imagined when I began this prior to WrestleMania 28 nearly two years ago. I didn’t believe I’d even get one reader let alone 12,000. So give yourselves a big round of applause and know that you Wrestling God will be raising a glass to you. Because without you I may have just gone mad with no one to listen to my rants and raves; this is the blog for the people. And it’s the people who have kept it running.

So have a great one, get drunk, sing songs until you can no longer talk and then stuff yourself with turkey, stuffing and that sauce which tastes like sour vomit and throw up the three days food you’ve consumed in three hours and start over again. Because in January we’ll all be thrown back into the real world with our worries and stresses reaffirmed for another year and that’ll be less than fun. So here’s to us and may all your wishes come true.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...