Step into the Ring

Wednesday 22 July 2015

THE NEXT CHAPTER




I’ve been sitting here looking at a blank piece of paper for nearly thirty minutes. And I still don’t know what to say. It’s been brewing for some time now. The closure of this blog and whilst I’m writing this with tears in my eyes, let’s be honest, it’s been a long time coming. I don’t have as much time to put into this blog anymore and that has shown in the last few months. The entries haven’t been as good as I’d have liked them to be but that’s because I don’t have the time to dedicate to you people any longer. Which is why I have come to the devastating decision to say a final farewell.

When I opened this blog three and a half years ago, it was to revolutionize the wrestling industry. To tell you the truth about what was happening, why and what should occur instead. Because we’re all bored of being spoon fed crap that we know is wrong. And whilst I have a strong urge to continue, I can no longer put my life on hold weekly to write to you good people. We’ve reviewed the good and the bad releases, we’ve pondered over what should change in wrestling and I like to think that we’ve at least had an impact on the profession. Because as I take my final bow, WWE are changing their ethos for the better. At least a small part of that we can take credit for. It hasn’t been a complete waste of time.

There have been many reasons I decided to stop this whilst we’re on top and that is one of them. I have read too many books and blogs that were brilliant but then carried on needlessly and ruined their reputation. I’ve never been that person. I never will be either. I would rather stop whilst we’re on top and leave you wanting more with fond memories rather than have you sigh every time a new post pops up. That’s the right way to go. There were other reasons as well, namely my life which has been dedicated to this blog for three years and you good people.

I need to move on. Wrestling has been my life for as long as I can remember. In fact I don’t recall a time in my life when wrestling hasn’t been there. And whilst it will always be a massive part of my life other things have stated to happen for me. I’ve found someone special. I’m not yet in the place I want to be career wise but it has to happen some day. And for once, I’m verging on being happy. That’s never happened before. And hey, maybe it won’t last. Maybe it’s just a fleeting thing whilst something better readies itself but right here, right now, I don’t need this blog in my life. And that’s a sentence I never thought I’d say. Am I sad it’s ending? Of course. Not as sad as I should be though because for a while it’s been more a hindrance than a pleasure, but it’s always been a joy to talk to you. My minions.

And you’re also part of the reason this blog is closing. You see, I’m not willing to keep writing this for people to have it for nothing. They say that if you’re good at something then never do it for free. So a new chapter in my life will now begin with never doing anything I’m good for, for free. I never charged you for this blog. I never asked any of you for a penny or a cent towards this site because its not how wrestling should be. The truth shouldn’t come with a price. But I soon realised that you wanted something for nothing. I lost count of how many times I asked the thirty five thousand plus of you to contribute with letters and questions for a new monthly feature to replace Review Corner. And I only ever got one question. You couldn’t be bothered and neither can I. I’m not having a go at you, it’s your choice. But you know what the old saying says. You use it or you lose it.

I like to think that this blog has been important to some people. The numbers have been beyond my wildest dreams. When I set this up I thought I’d be talking to myself, not over thirty five thousand people on a weekly basis. We’ve said things that can never be taken back and whilst there have been the idiots who tried to ruin it for us because they weren’t talented enough to do it themselves, you have been absolutely awesome. You listened to me when no one else would. You agreed with me and at times shook your head at my opinions but you never abandoned me. This blog has grown because of your support and for that you have my eternal thanks.

I’ve been looking around the shops recently and seen books by vloggers on the shelves. This gets me mad. Why are vloggers getting book deals when they plainly haven’t worked hard for it like an actual writer has? Why are they being picked above people who actually want to write? I’ve been here three years, we’ve been popular and yet I’ve never been offered one book deal or a chance to write for a wrestling magazine. It’s part of the reason I’m quitting as well. Why should I continue to slog my guts out on this blog when people bypass me for giving make up tips and advice? People who never even wanted to be writers or put the work in. People who just want to be famous? It’s not fair, and I can’t keep doing it.

This blog has given me joy over the last three years. Immense joy, but it’s also made me a better writer. A better person and more focused in what I want from life. You’ll never know who I am, but that’s okay. Something’s you never need to know. Because it would take the magic out of it. I have loved you all, sometimes I haven’t been so fond but I couldn’t have done it without you. A writer is nothing without his audience. So to those of you who have been with me since day one, god bless you. You’re the people I do this for. You’re the people I write for and strive to make a better business for. For those who have only just joined us for a fleeting ride, then thank you for opening your minds. The pleasure has been all mine.

I could gush for hours, but we all have homes to go to. And so on we go. It’s time to say goodbye for the final time. There was a point before I sat down to write where I contemplated carrying on, but if I’ve learnt anything from a disappointing and lacklustre life it’s that everything ends. Everything good, anyway. If you would like to say goodbye, then you can send your messages to @TWGISHERE. Be quick, this address will be closed at the end of August but the website will remain up so you can read old posts.

Goodbyes are always hard. For the sole reason it’s an ending. Farewell means that you’ll see each other again some day. Goodbye is pretty definitive that you won’t. I would like to think that we’ll link up again. Some day in the future when the business needs us again, but maybe it never will. Sign up for alerts because maybe I’ll be back one day if I miss it too much but for now, with a sense of accomplishment, I say finally, our job here is done.

As we go onwards and upwards, I will say goodbye my friends. I wish you good health, good luck and I hope all of your dreams come true.

From beginning to end, the pleasure has been all mine.

Thanks For Everything and Goodbye.

The Wrestling God…