Step into the Ring

Tuesday 17 September 2013

POINTS OF VIEW




In the past you will have seen me mention that I welcome comments from all of you who read this blog, on what you like and don’t like about the whole thing. So far I have received some compliments and some not so nice comments but all of them have been constructive until I put up the ‘Legends of Mid-South Wrestling’ review corner blog. Now, I will say this once more because I am tired of saying it to people who don’t listen. I write the blogs to please people who want to know the truth about this business. Not the small minded morons who believe everything in wrestling is find and dandy.

On the ‘Legends of Mid-South Wrestling’ blog, I received a comment, one sole comment out of the thousands of people that read this blog every week, saying “You think you’re a God? I think you’re nothing but a mark who watches every match and segment with a high expectation”. The person in question didn’t even have the guts to leave a name so I could reply – now you all know what kind of person we’re dealing with here. I’d expect this kind of thing from a younger fan who doesn’t know what wrestling should be – or a John Cena fan – not, as I assume this person to be, a full grown adult. I have done nothing to any of you to warrant that kind of treatment and I do not expect it in return. As I’ve said before, I welcome comments from all of you, new and old readers, whether you’ve been reading this from the beginning or you’re new to this blog, but when you start to get personal with nothing constructive to say, that’s when I get defensive. What is it they say? ‘Those who can, do. Those who can’t, criticise!’

The moron in question, who seems to love leaving negative comments for the fun of it, needs to remember a couple of things when reading this blog. The first is that everything here is the truth. I don’t lie; I don’t say things are rosy when they stink of shit. So if the person in question or anyone for that matter doesn’t like what I say then that’s life. I’m not going to say something that’s wrong just to please a very small minority. There are many other people out there writing just to please the small minded, I will not be one of them. So if you don’t like someone written here then feel free to stop reading and go elsewhere. Because you will not bully me or anyone else on this blog, just because you think you know better when it’s obvious you know nothing!

The second thing to remember is that reviewing DVD/Blu-ray’s such as the one in question isn’t the easy job everyone thinks it is. There is good and bad about everything. There isn’t one release WWE have put out ever that’s perfect with nothing wrong. Usually each box set has a running time of 9 hours and whilst I love doing this job even broken up into the three viewings the releases can drag and matches can begin to look similar when the release needs an injection of life. If I believe a match is rubbish then I will say so, what you have to remember is that this is my opinion and may not be the opinion of anyone or everyone reading this. However, I’ve seen enough bum matches in my time to know one when I see one.

The comment about ‘having a too high expectation of every match and segment’ I will answer with the simple fact, that if you’re paying the £29.99 shop price or £19.99 online price for this or any release then you have a right to have high expectations of everything on the release, especially when the company releasing it have an extensive archive in which they could easily replace the plain rubbish with. Once again, I’m here to bring you the truth and I will watch every release with the same high expectation. Ask yourself this. What would you be more annoyed with? Me having high expectations and judging everything on those expectations or me saying that everything on the release is brilliant and then you spending your hard earned money on the release only to find that it’s actually rubbish?

If the person who left the message would like to have an adult discussion about what they said or what they believe I may be doing wrong then I am all ears and open to that. But if they want to continue leaving childish messages then I will simply delete them and close off all routes for you guys to contact me, because of one person. If that person or anyone reading this believes they can do a better job then feel free to create your own blog and then go through the trouble and channels of contacting Freemantle Media to become a reviewer yourselves.

However this blog has been up and running for a year and a half now and everyone reading it seems to be happy with what I am doing. Those are the people I write for. Am I a ‘mark’? Possibly, but I don’t hide that. I’ve openly stated before I’m a ‘mark’ for certain wrestlers who inspired me or hold a place in my heart. We all are, if you don’t think you are then you are a fool. That is what this business is there for. If you want to be a mark then be one – but I do not think I am a ‘mark’ for any release. I state what’s good and bad according to my standards and my opinion. If you don’t like it then find someone who will tell you what you want to hear.

The last point I will make to Mr or Mrs Anonymous is what they said about the name ‘You think you’re a God?’ The answer is no. I’m sure even that person has the brain capacity to realise it’s just a name. I don’t consider myself to be a Godlike figure to anyone or about anything. But I do know what I’m talking about when it comes to the squared circle. Would you go up to Christian Bale and say “You call yourself Batman? You haven’t even got a cave?” No. So my message to the person who sent me that message is simple. The door is open to walk out of at any time, because I don’t like or welcome small minded people here.

As for the rest of you, it’s always been a pleasure to write for you and hear your views. If you think I’m doing a good job then let me know. If you think things could be improved then drop me a line and suggest something. As long as it’s friendly and constructive I will listen and take everything you say into consideration. If you just want to chat shit and look a dick in front of an audience which is quickly approaching 10,000 people then you will get it right back. This is my domain and what I say goes.

Missing Links

Now all that is said, I have to apologise. Not for anything I’ve said above because I mean it all. But to everyone who logged on expecting to see the Night of Champions 2013 Preview before the event. As you will have noticed by now, there wasn’t one. My internet had an off week and refused to allow me to connect to any site let alone this one. After further inspection the sim card inside my dongle had become overheated and begun to melt. It took nearly a whole week for the shop to both notice it and rectify it and therefore, no preview.

Now we’re back online the schedule for September reads like this:

September 23rd: Review Corner – Money in the Bank 2013 DVD and Blu-ray

September 30th: ‘The Unforgettable’ Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase

I know that Money in the Bank 2013 is released on the day the review comes out but thank to the internet problems everything has been put back a week with us. Because WWE Battleground is on October 6th – your Wrestling God’s birthday – and the preview will be up on October 4th, depending on which matches have been announced, then ‘Goldberg – The Ultimate Collection’ DVD and Blu-ray which is released on October 7th will appear here in review form as usual on its release date of October 7th with ‘Triple H: Thy Kingdom Come’ DVD and Blu-ray, released on October 14th appearing here on October 12th.

Everything after that will return to normal – well as normal as you can get. Just a note on the latest instalment of ‘The Unforgettable’ series; as mention above this months is focussed on the legend that is Ted Dibiase. As I was writing it, the article became longer and longer and longer. Because Dibiase had such a great and long career I felt it would be an injustice not to cover it from beginning to end, so it is going to be a long one and maybe the longest blog I’ve ever written – and that’s including the mammoth WrestleMania 29 blog in April. Because it’s so long there will be only two pictures, one of how he used to be as ‘The Million Dollar Man’ – though the blog begins in the late 1970’s with his first wrestling match, covering his stints in All Japan Pro Wrestling, Mid-South, Georgia Championship Wrestling plus other leading up to his arrival in the WWF – and one as he looks now. His entire WWF and WCW careers are also covered. It is one of the best blogs I have ever written and I am hugely proud of it.

Onwards and upwards...