Step into the Ring

Thursday 22 November 2012

A BIG SHOW PERFORMANCE

If you would indulge me for a few minutes then I would like to take you back two months to WWE’s October Hell in a Cell pay per view. For the regular among you that read my blog every week and there are many out there, then you’ll know that I have been critical of the Big Show to say the least. I have good reason as you’ll know if you’ve seen any of his dire performances in that past years.

Apparently, I have been unfair and unjust to Big Show. Well, once at least. If you read my Hell in a Cell review then you’ll have read that I didn’t think much of the Big Show vs Sheamus Match for the World Heavyweight Championship. In fact I hardly gave it any credit at all. For me, a Big Show match is one of the dullest affairs out there today and at times even rivals a John Cena effort for tediousness. However, listening to recent people talk and several magazines that said otherwise, I decided that I would go back and watch the match again.

My comments about said match may have been met with frowns and a little criticism by those who read it. Just recently I’ve heard the encounter be called ‘The best thing on the show’ and a ‘tremendous effort by Big Show’. Reviewing the match once did, I won’t lie, make me think I may have gotten it slightly wrong on the occasion. Watching the match through a third time however I can see why some people think I didn’t give it the credit it deserved.

The ‘White Noise’ on Big Show by Sheamus was a great move and a daring one by both men, considering how much Big Show weighs and how much effort it must have taken Sheamus to get the blob man up. The final three minutes of the match were electric no doubt and the exchanges between Show and Sheamus were some of the best Show has had in recent years. To go as far as to say that this was the best thing on the card however was an oversight on others parts. Not mine.

For it to be the best thing on the card, the match would have had to have another element added to it. A defending Champion who is growing stale fast and a giant who has done nothing in the business since 1996 is never going to be the best thing on the card. Not when you have a performance from a Champion in the main event, like we got from C.M Punk.

Another fact that riled me was people describing Big Show as ‘Earning the Championship’. No. Not in a million years. To earn a World Heavyweight Championship reign a wrestler has to go through months of fine performances, sacrifices in his personal life and unrivalled matches which stand alone when viewed separate from a whole pay per event. C.M Punk has earned his one year plus, WWE Championship reign through consistency inside the ring, some grade ‘A’ matches and his sacrifice of his personal life to represent the company inside and outside the ring. That’s a man who has earned his Championship reign. Big Show is a man who had – upon reviewing the match a third time – a good match for the first time in maybe four or five years.

Just because Big Show put on a decent performance, which, judging by those he followed up with on Raw and Smackdown, was a fluke. Doesn’t earn him a Championship reign which has been ultimately dull in mostly every area. Sorry. No.

Yes, Big Show vs Sheamus was better than I originally described it as being but I only saw that on the second and third viewing. There’s no doubt looking at it now that Big Show put in a decent performance and by his very best for years and I will concede that the match was a very, very good one on reflection. When you take into account C.M Punk’s herculean effort in getting Ryback over, then Big Show vs Sheamus pails in comparison.

Onwards and upwards...